Each 1 oz (30 ml) bottle of Half Hill Farm's Propolis Extract contains roughly a three month supply with daily use and has a dropper for oral or topical application. This propolis is extracted with USDA Certified Organic USP (pharmaceutical grade) alcohol and bottled in ultra-violet Miron glass for superior and indefinite shelf-life. Take 3-5 drops a day, or apply to minor cuts to create a liquid band-aid. Do not use this product if you are allergic to bees. Half Hill Farm is dedicated to sustainable farm practices that reflect our deep commitment to being good stewards of our planet and our general well being.
What is Propolis: Foraging honey bees make propolis by gathering tree and plant resins, mixing it with wax and enzymes to create a structural glue in the hive. The bee varnishes the inside of a tree hollow or hive with a thin layer of propolis that protects the colony from bacterial, fungal and viral infection as well as small insects and animals. In 2015, scientists discovered a species of bee that uses fungus in propolis to protect larval food stores from spoilage. Humans have used propolis dating back to 300 B.C. from dental care to mummification.
Health benefits and potential uses: Honey bee propolis has been widely studied. The following is a summary of several studies linked below our label. Please consult your doctor before using our product.
- Composition: Raw propolis is 50% resins, 30% waxes, 10% essential oils, 5% pollen, and 5% organic compounds. Propolis contains calcium, iodine, potassium, sodium, manganese, magnesium, iron copper and zinc as well as vitamins B1, B2, B6, C, D and E.
- Antioxident: High concentrations of flavinoids and phenolic acids in propolis reduce oxidative stress to protiens, lipids, nucleic acids and other biomolecules in the body. Oxidative stresses cause cells to die leading to a variety of diseases like cancer, diabetes and heart diseases.
- Anti-inflammatory: When reactive oxygen species like hydrogen peroxide (H2O2) are not flushed from cells, inflammation occurs. Unresolved chronic inflammation can lead to many diseases like atherosclerosis, Alzheimer's, Parkinson, asthma and cancer. Many studies show the flavinoids and cinnamic acid derivatives in propolis reduce inflammatory responses.
- Antiviral: Studies show flavinoid rich propolis interferes with the RNA synthesis of herpes simplex 1 and 2, influenza, H1N1, HIV and other viruses.
- Antibacterial, Antimicrobial: Propolis is effective against Gram-positive bacteria like Streptococcus mutans, which causes tooth decay and heart disease, Lactobacilli, and Staphylococcus.
- Antifungal: Propolis is active against dermatophytes and yeasts, including several Candida strains - some resistant to known antifungal agents.
- Antiprotozoal: Propolis shows activity against parasites that cause many diseases in humans. Studies show propolis is active against trichomoniasis, toxoplasmosis, giardiasis, Chagas disease, leishmaniasis, Giardia lamblia, Trichomonas vaginalis, Toxoplasma gondii, Leishmania donovani, Trypanosoma cruzi, and malaria.
- Antitumor: Propolis acts against cancer cells by blocking oncogene signalling pathways, decreasing cancer proliferation by decreasing cancer stem cell populations and increasing cancer apoptosis. Propolis is active against colorectal, human breast, human tongue squamous cell carcinoma, and human prostate cancer cells. Studies show flavonoids from propolis could play a protective role against the toxicity of the chemotherapeutic agents or radiation therapy.
Studies on Propolis Extract:
Please consult your physician before using any of our products for health purposes. These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.